- Last Updated: Sunday, 08 December 2019 17:31
- Written by Graham Brooks
THE FARMS AROUND CUMWHINTON
Cumwhinton is a small rural village to the south of Carlisle and has always relied on agriculture for its main employment.
The agricultural history of the village and area has not been published and the following are a few examples of farming related topics I have found to date and details of some of the farms.
Murrain was the term used during the medieval period for any cattle or sheep disease that occurred as an epidemic and caused a large number of deaths. Murrain literally means death. These diseases included Anthrax, Foot and Mouth, Rinderpest. By the nineteenth century it was usually applied only to Rinderpest which is a viral disease of ungulatrs which causes fever, loss of mucous in the mouth and diarrhoea and is usually fatal. The disease was eradicated from the UK in the alte 19th Century.
In the Carlisle Journal 6th July 1844 there is a report that Mr Dodd of Cumwhinton has lost 6 cows due to Murrain.
Situated on the road to Carlisle to the north of the village
Cumwhinton tithe map showing the site of the Cringles (1842) B16.
The house is early 19th century in coursed red sandstone with a slate roof. There is windows allong the front with moulded window dressings. The front door has 2 tuscan columns and moulded entabulative.
The tithe map has Henry Aglionby Aglionby as the owner with Robert Lennox as the tennant. Piggs map of 1838 has the farm as freehold under the Aglionby family.
The 1847 mannix and Whellan directory still has Robert Lennox as the occupier.
The farm was advertised for sale in January 1855 when John Pattinson had been the tennant. The farm is both arable and grassland and woodland and is 65 acres in area.
Advert from Carlisle journal 23rd November 1855
This shows that John Pattinson was still tennant in the November. However another advert shows that development was planned to take place.
Advert Carlisle Journal 2nd November 1855.
James Stewart was the new owner
Advert Carlisle Journal 3rd February 1865.
James Stewart sold the farm in 1865
Advert Carlisle Journal 16th February 1865.
Mr W C Snowden obviously retired in 1877 and the farm was re-let.
Advert Carlisle Journal 23rd February 1877.
The 1882 directory shows jonathan Armstrong as resident.
By 1934 William Haugh was the farmer.
Earliest mention to date is an advert for sale in1784
CUMBERLAND PAQUET 23RD NOVEMBER 1784.
Note the spelling.
The farm was for sale again in 1799
CUMBERLAND PAQUET 11TH JUNE 1799.
An advert in the Carisle Journal of 3rd September 1814 have both Wragmire Bank and Wath Green for sale again. The tennant is Mrs Brown. (microfilm in Carlisle library to poor to reproduce here)
Possibly at this sale the farm became part of Barrock Lodge Estate, and is shown in a field book of the state for 1819 as being in the occupation of James Brough.
There is also a field plan for the farm 1839 and a list of crops grown for each field.
(CRO D/JB/3/1 + 2)
On the Cumwhinton Tithe Map, 1842, the owner is William James and tennant is Joseph Brough.
This is a property in the centre of the village and although is no a purely set of residental properties it was obviously an agricultural premises with the 2 barns now being converted.
The property is listed as number 25 on Piggs evaluation of the manor belonging to H A Aglionby in 1838. It is listed as a customary tenant occupant Stephen Robson and was associated with fields known as Croft, Short Croft, Moor Flatt, Delanys Croft, Peter Croft, Acre High, Acre Low, Percy Meadow, Near Bank, Far Bank, Moor flatt, Linglands and Dubsyke. The last 5 fields are said to have been called Sowerby Tenement. All were enfranchised to Henderson in 1855.Rateable value was £17 5s 1¾ d.
By the time of the tithe map in 1842 there is no great change in the footprint of the buildings but the the differntiation of the house and barn is shown and also a division across the frontyard to give a garden. th eowner and tenant was Elizabeth Bell.
The farm was offered for sale in 1895
The fields are as follows 33 Near Bank i permenant pasture, 32 Far Bank oat stubble, 31 Percy Meadow as a meadow, 27 Baxter fold in seeds, 21 Haudyad in turnips and potatos, 21A Haudyads Syke as a meadow, 1 Blackground in seeds, 93 Delany's croft portion unsold permenant grass. 102 and 111 and also quarry adjoingng contracted to be purchased from Midland Railway Company by William Murray. 86 Short Croft rotational grazing, 239 Acre in seeds and 242 Half Acre in seeds. the tennant is Robert Bell but the owner is not stated.