- Last Updated: Tuesday, 05 May 2020 15:22
- Written by GRAHAM BROOKS
THE FARMS AROUND CUMWHINTON
Cumwhinton is a small rural village to the south of Carlisle and has always relied on agriculture for its main employment.
The agricultural history of the village and area has not been published and the following are a few examples of farming related topics I have found to date and details of some of the farms.
Murrain was the term used during the medieval period for any cattle or sheep disease that occurred as an epidemic and caused a large number of deaths. Murrain literally means death. These diseases included Anthrax, Foot and Mouth, Rinderpest. By the nineteenth century it was usually applied only to Rinderpest which is a viral disease of ungulatrs which causes fever, loss of mucous in the mouth and diarrhoea and is usually fatal. The disease was eradicated from the UK in the alte 19th Century.
In the Carlisle Journal 6th July 1844 there is a report that Mr Dodd of Cumwhinton has lost 6 cows due to Murrain.
Situated on the road to Carlisle to the north of the village
Cumwhinton tithe map showing the site of the Cringles (1842) B16.
The house is early 19th century in coursed red sandstone with a slate roof. There is windows allong the front with moulded window dressings. The front door has 2 tuscan columns and moulded entabulative.
The tithe map has Henry Aglionby Aglionby as the owner with Robert Lennox as the tennant. Piggs map of 1838 has the farm as freehold under the Aglionby family.
The 1847 mannix and Whellan directory still has Robert Lennox as the occupier.
The 1851 census lists Robert Lennox asa farmer of 65 acres which fits with the size of the farm
Robert Lennox H M 70 Farmer of 65 acres born Middlesceugh
Mary Lennox w m 68 born Keswick
Mary Lennox d u 27 Farmer's daughter born Cumwhinton
William Bennet serv u 25 Agricultural Labourer born Scotland.
The farm was advertised for sale in January 1855 when John Pattinson had been the tennant. The farm is both arable and grassland and woodland and is 65 acres in area.
Advert from Carlisle journal 23rd November 1855
This shows that John Pattinson was still tennant in the November. However another advert shows that development was planned to take place.
Advert Carlisle Journal 2nd November 1855.
The 1851 census for Cumwhinton has a John Pattinson Listed but he is described as a Yeoman and farmer of only 25 acres.
James Stewart was the new owner
Advert Carlisle Journal 3rd February 1865.
James Stewart sold the farm in 1865
The next person was to be Mr W C Snowden
Mr W C Snowden obviously retired in 1877 and the farm was re-let.
Advert Carlisle Journal 23rd February 1877.
Advert for sale of Mr Snowden's farming stock. Carlisle journal 16th February 1877.
The 1882 directory shows jonathan Armstrong as resident.
By 1934 William Haugh was the farmer.
Earliest mention to date is an advert for sale in1784
CUMBERLAND PAQUET 23RD NOVEMBER 1784.
Note the spelling.
The farm was for sale again in 1799
CUMBERLAND PAQUET 11TH JUNE 1799.
An advert in the Carisle Journal of 3rd September 1814 have both Wragmire Bank and Wath Green for sale again. The tennant is Mrs Brown. (microfilm in Carlisle library to poor to reproduce here)
Possibly at this sale the farm became part of Barrock Lodge Estate, and is shown in a field book of the state for 1819 as being in the occupation of James Brough.
There is also a field plan for the farm 1839 and a list of crops grown for each field.
(CRO D/JB/3/1 + 2)
On the Cumwhinton Tithe Map, 1842, the owner is William James and tennant is Joseph Brough.
The 1851 census lists
Joseph Brough H M 63 farmer of 208 acres Born Hesket
Mary Brough w m 51 Born Swaites?
Thomas Cowan serv u 25 Farm Servant Born Hesket
Richard Blacklock serv u 14 Farm Servant Born St Cuthberts
Jane Cowan serv u 19 House Servant Born Hesket.
This is a property in the centre of the village and although is no a purely set of residental properties it was obviously an agricultural premises with the 2 barns now being converted.
The property is listed as number 25 on Piggs evaluation of the manor belonging to H A Aglionby in 1838. It is listed as a customary tenant occupant Stephen Robson and was associated with fields known as Croft, Short Croft, Moor Flatt, Delanys Croft, Peter Croft, Acre High, Acre Low, Percy Meadow, Near Bank, Far Bank, Moor flatt, Linglands and Dubsyke. The last 5 fields are said to have been called Sowerby Tenement. All were enfranchised to Henderson in 1855.Rateable value was £17 5s 1¾ d.
By the time of the tithe map in 1842 there is no great change in the footprint of the buildings but the the differntiation of the house and barn is shown and also a division across the frontyard to give a garden. the owner and tenant was Elizabeth Bell.
The 1851 Census does not have an Elizabeth Bell listed and the farm is not named.
The farm was offered for sale in 1895
The fields are as follows 33 Near Bank i permenant pasture, 32 Far Bank oat stubble, 31 Percy Meadow as a meadow, 27 Baxter fold in seeds, 21 Haudyad in turnips and potatos, 21A Haudyads Syke as a meadow, 1 Blackground in seeds, 93 Delany's croft portion unsold permenant grass. 102 and 111 and also quarry adjoingng contracted to be purchased from Midland Railway Company by William Murray. 86 Short Croft rotational grazing, 239 Acre in seeds and 242 Half Acre in seeds. the tennant is Robert Bell but the owner is not stated.
Turnshaw was a farm to the South West of the village. The farm was demolished after suffering from subsidence due to the under lying Cocklakes gypsum mine.
In October 1804 Turnshaw was sold as part of a large estate. It was Lot 83 and consisted of a dwelling house, out-buildings, and numerous closes of land viz. four fields called turnshaws in the occupation of Robert Sewell, two fields called Turnshaws in the occupation of John Young, two more fields called Turnshaw and one field called Crow Park in the occupation of Cuthbert Fisher. The total amounted to 28a 2r 14p.
Parson and White Directory 1829 has John Storey as resident.
By January 1837 Robert Storey is farming the farm and he is retiring and his stock etc is for sale.
Carlisle Journal 21st January 1837.
Mannix and Whellan Directory 1847 lists John Little as the tennant.
The 1851 census still has John Little and his family resident.
John Little H M 35 farmer of 100 acres born Close Head
Jane Little W M 41 born Wetheral
Joseph Little s 6 born Cumwhinton
Ann Little d 4 born Turnshaw
Thomas Little s 1 born Turnshaw
William Jackson serv u 35 Farm labourer born Kirbythore
Mary A Singeon serv u 16 House Servant born Stapleton.
With the declaration that the son Jospeh was born at Cumwhinton and Daughter Ann was born at Turnshaw would suggest that John and his family entered the farm in 1845/46.
However by December 1864 the farm is to let again but the tennant is Joseph Storey and the owner is Robert Storey of Charlesfield, Kirklinton.
Carlisle Journal 27th January 1865.
Joseph Storey's stock and farming implements were sold in February.
The farm was again advertised to let in January 1884 when a Mr Pigg was the tennant.
Carlisle Journal 11th January 1884.