- Last Updated: Saturday, 13 February 2021 21:09
- Written by GRAHAM BROOKS
The village of Cumwhinton in north Cumbria was the first village in which I lived on moving to Cumbria. The village lies to the south of Carlisle just to the east of the M6.
The village has not seen any major instances during its long history.
Originally called Cumquinton with the first written record being in the mid 12th Century. The meaning of the name is said to be Cum - celtic for valley and Quinton a Norman/French name.
There has been to date no evidence of prehistoric activity in the village with the nearest being the Bronze age burial at Garlands discovered in the 19th century. (C&W transactions Vol. LVI.)
The romans also appear to passed the village by, there is evidence of activity at Wetheral with the inscriptions carved on the cliff near the cells and to the east was a temporary roman camp at the Golden Fleece, Carleton with the main roman road connecting Carlisle with Old Penrith 450m to the west of that.
At the conquest (1066) the manor was held by Hildred de Carliell, on his death the manor was left to his grandchildren Robert and Richard de Carliell and the manor was divided into 2 moieties.
In 1252 Sir William Caerleol son of Eudo de Caerleol, he granted a rent to a relative, who then bestowed it upon the monks of Wetheral Abbey. The Abbey had been founded around 1100 by Ranulph de Meschines as a sister to St. Marys, York.
When carlisle Priory was disolved in 1540 Henry VIII set up the Dean and Chapter and he gave rights of the Priory to them and also the rights of Wetheral Abbey.
The manor of Cumwhinton ended up being split beween the Aglionby family, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle and the Duke of Devonshire.
Cumwhinton as shown on Hutchinsons map of 1734.
CUMWHINTON AS SHOWN ON DONALDS MAP OF 1774.
The linear nature of the village suggests that the village was laid out after 1100 AD. The axis usually followed an already popular route. Each holding would then have a strip of land behind it and further strips spread throughout the various open village fields. These strips can still be seen in the field layout around the village.
The earliest map showing property divisions of the village is a valuation map of 1838 for the Aglionby family drawn up by a Mr Pigg. It is in very poor condition. There is a valuation book to go with the map listed seperately in the Carlisle Archive.
EXTRACT FROM PIGGS EVALUATION MAP FOR THE AGLIONBY FAMILY 1838 (Carlisle archives. DX/128/7/19)
EXTRACT FROM THE CUMWHINTON TITHE MAP SHOWING THE VILLAGE. DRAWN IN 1848. (Carlisle
EXTRACT FROM 1ST EDITION ORDNANCE SURVEY 1 ; 10,560 MAP 1868. (NOT TO SCALE)
EXTRACT FROM THE 2ND EDITION ORDNANCE SURVEY 1 ; 10,560 MAP 1901. (N
The industries associated with the village are discussed here
The farms around Cumwhinton are discussed here
CUMWHINTON FREE METHODIST CHAPEL.
The present chapel, built 1904, which is now out of use, (used as a store) is a replacement of the original chapel built in 1816.
Situated on the Carlisle to Settle line, it was originally built by the Midland railway and opened 1st may 1876. It remained open until 5th November 1956.
This station only had a siding with no goods shed or coal staith.
It was probably most famous for the killing of the Allendale wolf. This wolf had escaped from captivity at a private house in Allendale it caused havoc to the local sheep population. It was eventually chased across country to be finally killed by a railway engine just to the north of the station.
For accident to John Armstrong follow link
The railway worker cottages.
CUMWHINTON VILLAGE HALL.
Built in 1908.
Pieces from the original plans. (Carlisle Archive PR 180/36)
Next to the village hall is the village war memorial. Made by J. W. REED, Newcastle.
THE HORSE AND JOCKEY INN.
This is an interesting building or buildings. The Tithe map of 1842 has only one public house listed THE RACEHORSE at plot number 124. The owner is down as Margaret Creighton with the tenant being Thomas Graham However prior to this there was an advert in the Carlisle Journal for 1833. Which suggest that it was previously called the Horse and Jockey.
The present building on the site of tithe map plot 124. The Racehorse/Horse and Jockey.
A report in the Carlisle Journal for 25th August 1838 reports on the sports day at Cumwhinton at W Sanderson's Horse and Jockey. The death of a William Sanderson aged 68 is recorded in the Carlisle Journal 5th January
1839. In May John Sanderson, innkeeper and farmer assigned his assests to John Bell and John Pigg both of Cotehill.
In December 1839 the public house known as the Match em and Eclipse was offered for sale. It was situated in the middle of the village and is described as a public house with barn, byre, stable and other out houses, orchard, yard and Croft of 2 acres. John sanderson is the tenant and Mrs Creighton is the owner. If it is not sold the property will be sold.
The above information suggests that John Sanderson was the son of W. Sanderson. But why the changes in name of the public house is not known. Looking at the present village the righthand side of building must have been the farm buildings. From what we know from the Tithe map of 1842 the building was not sold because Mrs Creighton is still the owner.
In 6th August 1842 an inquest was held into the death of Elizabeth Graham wife of Thomas Graham innkeeper Cumwhinton. The verdict on her death was a 'visitation of God'
By June 1842 James Boustead is advertising a pigeon shoot at the Horse and Jockey.
James Boustead was a blacksmith by trade and in December 1837 he had married Mary Lennox both are listed as of Cumwhinton. Earlier in the year, May, Mrs Creighton had advertised a newly erected blacksmith shop to let? Had James taken this shop.
In October 1846 'an old established inn' consisting of dwelling house, and other conveniences were advertised to let by Mrs Creighton.
Mannix and Whellan directory for 1847 has James Dixon as victular at the Horse and Jockey.
John Armstrong, Mrs Creighton's son-in-law was letting a barn, stable and hayloft adjoining the public house.
Mrs Margaret Creighton's death is recorded in the Carlisle journal of the 12th September 1851. Her son-in-law John Armstrong appears to have inherited her estate.
The Horse and Jockey was advertised to let in March 1853 when it is described with an excellent stable and outbuildings, garden and 3 acres of land all owned by John Armstrong.
However in August 1854 John was advertising a house, barn, stable to sell. The advert also included a cottage and public bake house which john had owned and had been letting in his own name since the 1851. The more interesting part is the next part 'Also newly erected well accustomed inn and public house known as sign of Horse and Jockey, with stables, out offices and garden in Occupation of James MaGhee, Veterinary Surgeon. Owner John Armstrong'. The sale of the old public house and the bake house obviously didn't occur as it was re-advertised in October 1854.
The term 'newly erected' suggests that the pub had been rebuilt. But because a property that fits the discription of the original public house is for sale, it would suggest that the new inn had been built on a new site. If you look at the first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1868 a bench mark is shown at the west end of the village opposite the Scotby road. This bench mark (and flush plate) is listed as being on the 'Horse and Jockey'. This suggest that the pub had moved and the new inn was built in 1853/4.
The new Horse and Jockey with the flush bracket on the lower rightside.
Mr MaGhee's occupation of the new inn didn't last long in September 1854 his licence was revoked at the Petty Sessions due to a man called Thompson being so drunk in the public house had to be carried home in a cart.
Post Office Directory 1858 has Joseph Holmes at the Horse and Jockey.
The tenant of the Horse and Jockey was in front of the Petty Sessions again in September 1861 when Jane Millar was charged with serving drinks on a Sunday afternoon and was fined £1.
By February 1864 Joseph Howes is recorded as the landlord at the Horse and Jockey.
Advert in Carlisle Journal 24th Janauary 1865. The horse and Jockey is to let again.
1882 directory has William Rain as licenced victullar.
Kelly's Directory for 1894 has John Veitch as occupier of the Horse and Jockey.
THE LOWTHER ARMS.
The Lowther Arms built after the 1844 tithe map. It does appear on 1868 first edition Ordnance survey map. It was built allong with a blacksmith shop.
In the 1858 Post Office directory James Boustead is listed as landlord of the Lowther Arms and also a blacksmith.
In the Carlisle journal of the 23rd December 1859 the death of Mary the wife of James Boustead at the age 46 at the Lowther Arms.
Advert Carlisle Journal 16th November 1860. Has both the Lowther Arms and the Blacksmith shop is to let. it states James Boustead had been in business for 23 years. He had advertised for a journeyman blacksmith in 1853. Was this when he built the Lowther Arms and became an inn keeper and needed help as a blacksmith?
In January the sale of Jame's stock of both the Lowther Arms and the Blacksmith shop is advertised for sale. It would appear that the Lowther Arms must have been let but not the blacksmith's shop as this was advertised to sell a blacksmith shop and land.
Advert Carlisle Journal 18th August 1871.
1884 directory has Joseph Ion as victualr at the Lowter Arms
Kelly's directory of 1894 has George Howe as occupier of the Lowther Arms.
THE VILLAGE SHOP.
House with Village shop behind.
Part of plan to open a cloggers shop date 1905.
Report on attempted sale of the shop in 1907,
The only listed building actually in the village on architectural merit.
he doorway has the date
Plot 18. 0n Piggs map therefore part of the Aglionby part of the manor. tennant James Holmes.
plot 50. On the Tithe map land owner and occupier is James Holmes.
LISTING ENTRY FOR THE HOLME FARM HOUSE.
Farmhouse. Dated 1778 and initials T.B. Dressed red sandstone, graduated slate
roof, brick and stone chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 5 bays. Heavily moulded,
ornamented and dentilled entrance surround with dated pediment, all of white
sandstone: panelled door. Sash windows with glazing bars have plain
surrounds. Chamfered plinth course, raised quoins, string courses at sill
levels, moulded cornice with parapet and coped gables. Listing does not include
Post Office Directory 1858 has James Holmes as a Yeoman.
This house occupies plot 25 on Piggs Map, so was part of the Aglionby manor, tennant was Stephen Robson. It is plot B64 on the tithe map. Landowners were Messrs. Hudson and Richardson with John Pattinson as the tennant.
VILLAGE SCHOOL AND READING ROOM
The original school was built by subscription on the common opposite the now Lowther arms in 1839. (See tithe map and 1st edition OS map). a report of the opening appeared in the Carlisle Journal 6th April 1839.
An advert appeared in the Carlisle Journal for a schoolmaster to apply to John Coulson or James Holmes.
In 1882 Miss M Young was the teacher .
When the new school was built at the opposite end of the building in 1905, the old school was converted into reading rooms
Report in Carlisle Journal on conversion of the school to the village reading room.
Kelly's Directory 1934 has Thomas Dodd as Hon Sec.