- Last Updated: Friday, 28 February 2020 14:12
- Written by Graham Brooks
LEEDS FIRECLAY COMPANY.
Both sides of a brown glazed brick.
A white glazed brick.
A white brick with Ellen Road stamped on it.
A white brick which has one face glazed.
A white glazed angle brick with the same stamp as the normal brick above.
The Leeds Fireclay Company was formed in 1889 by the amalgamation of seven Leed's brick makers including the Burmantofts Company./
Armitage Brickworks, Woodhill, west Ardsley, leeds.
Kirkheaton brickworks, Huddersfield.
Commondale brick works were opened in 1861 by the London and Cleveland Firebrick Co. This was a short lived venture and closed in 1867 with the death of the main director John Slater Pratt.
The works reopened in 1872 by John Crossley who formed the Commondale Brick, Pipe and Pottery Company.
The site had a seam of fine clay that was suited to production of terra cotta including for a period pottery. The works was well known for their architectural terra coota.
The works were offered for sale in 1947 and were demolished in the 1950s.
Examples of their work:-
Commondale War Memorial. Although a stone cross created by local mason Joseph Ford there are four terra cotta panels on the base commemorating the fallen made at the local works.
They also made gravestones in the shape of crosses. This example is in the local churchyard.
A number of houses in Commondale are built with the local bricks and architectural terra cotta.
Originally a row of three cottages.
The company made a hand made brick sold under the trade mark 'TUDOR' and these were used in a number of buildings around the Cleveland area.